The Faculty of Life Science has conducted a workshop on “Best Laboratory Practices”
Faculty of Life Sciences
|Year/semester: B. Sc. Microbiology and M. Sc. Microbiology Ist Semester|
|Activity: Workshop on Best Laboratory Practices|
|Date and Time: 01/02/2021 & 02/02/2021, 11:10 AM to 01:10 PM.|
|Title: Workshop on Best Laboratory Practices|
Resource person/agency and affiliation:
Dr. Khushdil Khan, and Dr. Ganshyam Prajapat, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Life Science, Mandsaur University, Mandsaur
Brief description / remarks:
The workshop was organized by the Faculty of Life Sciences (FLS), MU, Mandsaur on 1st and 2nd February 2021 and attended by B. Sc. Microbiology and M. Sc. Microbiology Ist Semester students.
The objective of this workshop was to introduce the new students to the faculty of life sciences laboratory. Along with this, students also understand the best laboratory practices follows in department laboratories.
The workshop was coordinated by Dr. Khushdil Khan and Dr. Ganshyam Prajapat, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Life Sciences. The coordinators demonstrated various instrument functioning and its principle.
Laboratory visit and understand best laboratory practices. Students also learned about preparation of chemical and handling of hazardous chemicals. Some of the briefed laboratory practices are as follow-
- Always wear lab coat before entering in laboratory
- Wear mask always
- Do not touch any instruments randomly
- Carefully handle the glassware
- Handle the hazardous chemical carefully
- Use control sample in each experiments
- Make entry into the instruments logbook
- Switch off the main plug after using instrument
- Update laboratory notebook regularly
- Calibrate the instruments before use
- Clean your bench before and after use
- Read the material safety datasheet (MSDS) before using any chemical.
- Properly handle the hazardous chemical using protective gears.
- Double check the calculation before weighing any chemicals
Demonstrate the principle and functioning of various instruments.
Students learned about the best laboratory practices and instrument handling. This will help the students to make an in-depth understanding of laboratory environments. By observing real on hand demonstration of instruments, students understood the principle and application of each instrument.
No. of participants: 17 students
Prepared by: Dr. Ganshyam Prajapat, and Dr. Khushdil Khan, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Life Science, Mandsaur University
Verified and Submitted by (HOD/HOI): Dr. Shekhar Jain, HOD, Faculty of Life Science, Mandsaur University.