Parallel Operation of Two Single Phase Transformer
By this machine we can perform parallel operation, we mean two or more transformers are connected to the same supply bus bars on the primary side and to a common bus bar/load on the secondary side. Such requirement is frequently encountered in practice. The reasons that necessitate parallel operation are as follows.
1. Non-availability of a single large transformer to meet the total load requirement.
2. The power demand might have increased over a time necessitating augmentation of the capacity. More transformers connected in parallel will then be pressed into service.
3. To ensure improved reliability. Even if one of the transformers gets into a fault or is taken out for maintenance/repair the load can continued to be serviced.
4. To reduce the spare capacity. If many smaller size transformers are used one machine can be used as spare. If only one large machine is feeding the load, a spare of similar rating has to be available. The problem of spares becomes more acute with fewer machines in service at a location.
5. When transportation problems limit installation of large transformers at site, it may be easier to transport smaller ones to site and work them in parallel.