Name : Dr. Shekhar Jain
Designation : Associate Professor & Head, Faculty of Life Sciences
Qualification : Ph.D., M. Sc. Biotechnology, CSIR-NET, ICAR ASRB-NET, GATE, R-SET
Area of Interest : Biocontrol, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Environmental Biotechnology, Sustainable Agriculture
Work Experience : 8 years teaching and research experience
Email Id : firstname.lastname@example.org
Publication Details :
- Filled 03 Indian patents for plant growth and biocontrol (published).
- Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Varma A, Choudhary DK (2018). Comparative expression analysis of defence-related genes in Bacillus-treated Glycine max upon challenge inoculation with selective fungal phytopathogens. Cur Science, 115(10):1950-56. (IF-0.88)
- Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Kumari S, Varma A, Tuteja N, Choudhary DK (2017) Chitinolytic Bacillus-Mediated Induction of Jasmonic Acid and Defense-Related Proteins in Soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) Plant Against Rhizoctonia solani and Fusarium oxysporum. J Plant Growth Regul 36(1):200-214. (IF-2.2)
- Jain Shekhar, Choudhary DK (2014) Induced defense-related proteins in soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) plants by Carnobacterium sp.SJ-5 upon challenge inoculation of Fusarium oxysporum. Planta, 239(5):1027-40. (IF-3.35)
- Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Kasotia A, Kumari S, Gaur RK, Choudhary DK (2013) Rhizobacterium-mediated growth promotion and expression of stress enzymes in Glycine max L. Merrill against Fusarium wilt upon challenge inoculation. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 30(2):399-406. (IF-1.26)
- Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Kasotia A, Kumari S, Gaur RK, Choudhary DK (2013) Bacteria induced systemic resistance and growth promotion in Glycine max L. Merrill upon challenge inoculation with Fusarium oxysporum. Proc Natl Acad Sci, India, Sect B Biol Sci 83(4):561-567. (IF-0.4)
- Shanmugam V, Veena KH, Jain Shekhar, Tripathi M, Aggarwal R, Singh AK (2016) First report of seedling blight caused by Fusarium solani on cucumber from India. J Plant Pathol 98(3):680. (IF-0.6)
- Vaishnav A, Jain Shekhar , Kasotia A,Kumari S, Gaur RK, Choudhary DK (2013) Effect of nitric oxide signaling in bacterial-treated soybean plant under salt stress. Arch Microbiol.195(8):571-577. (IF-1.91)
- Vaishnav A, Kumari S, Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Tuteja N, Choudhary DK (2016) PGPR‐mediated expression of salt tolerance gene in soybean through volatiles under sodium nitroprusside. J Basic Microbiol 56(11):1274-88. (IF-1.6)
- Vaishnav A, Kumari S, Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Choudhary DK (2015) Putative bacterial volatile‐mediated growth in soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill) and expression of induced proteins under salt stress. J Appl Microbiol. 119(2):539-51. (IF-2.3)
- Kumari S, Vaishnav A, Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Choudhary DK (2015) Bacterial-Mediated Induction of Systemic Tolerance to Salinity with Expression of Stress Alleviating Enzymes in Soybean (Glycine max L. Merrill). J Plant Growth Regul 34(3):558-73. (IF-2.2)
- Kumari S, Vaishnav A, Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Choudhary DK (2016) Induced drought tolerance through wild and mutant bacterial strain Pseudomonas simiae in mung bean (Vigna radiata L.). World J Microbiol Biotechnol 32:4. (IF-1.78)
- Shanmugam V, Sharma V, Bharti P, Jyoti P, Yadav SK, Aggarwal R, Jain Shekhar (2017) RNAi induced silencing of pathogenicity genes of Fusarium spp. for vascular wilt management in tomato. Ann Microbiol 67:359-369. (IF-1.23)
- Gurjar MS, Bhardwaj NR, Jain Shekhar, Sharma S, Gupta S, Aggarwal R (2018). Identification of resistance sources and expression level of defense-related genes in wheat against Bipolaris sorokiniana. Indian Phytopathol, 71(1):127-34
- Kasotia A, Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Kumari S, Gaur RK, Choudhary DK (2012). Soybean growth-promotion by Pseudomonas sp. Strain VS1 under salt stress. PakJ Biol Sci,15(14):698-701
- Jain Shekhar, Kumari S, Vaishnav A, Choudhary DK, Sharma KP (2016) Isolation and characterization of plant growth promoting bacteria from soybean rhizosphere and their effect on soybean plant growth promotion. Inter J Advanced Scientific Tech Res 5:398-410
- Kumari S, Vaishnav A, Jain Shekhar, Choudhary DK, Sharma KP (2016) Regulation of Ethylene Level in Mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) by 1- Aminocyclopropane-1-Carboxylic Acid (ACC)-Deaminase containing Bacterial Strain under Salt Stress. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci 5(11):275-283
- Vaishnav A, Kumari S, Jain Shekhar, Choudhary DK, Sharma KP (2016). Molecular characterization of potential salt tolerant bacteria for soybean growth promotion. Int J Bioassay 5(12):5118-23
- Choudhary DK, Kasotia A, Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Kumari S, Sharma KP, Varma A (2016) Bacterial-mediated tolerance and resistance to plants under abiotic and biotic stresses. J Plant Growth Regul 35(1):276-300. (IF-2.2)
Book chapters :
- Jain Shekhar, Choudhary DK, Sharma KP, Aggarwal A (2018) Bacterial Mediated Plant Protection: Induced Systemic Resistance in Soybean. In: Patra J, Das G, Shin HS (eds) Microbial Biotechnology, Springer- Singapore, 193-206.
- Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Tuteja N, Choudhary DK (2017) Bacterial Volatiles in Promotion of Plant Under Biotic Stress. In: Choudhary DK, Sharma AK, Agarwal P, Varma A, Tuteja N (eds) Volatiles and Food Security: Role of Volatiles in Agro-ecosystems, Springer- Singapore, 299-311.
- Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Tuteja N, Choudhary DK (2017) Bacteria-mediated elicitation of induced resistance in plants upon fungal phytopathogen. In: Choudhary DK, Varma A, Tuteja N (eds) Plant-Microbe Interaction: An Approach to Sustainable Agriculture, Springer- Singapore, 249-269.
- Jain Shekhar, Varma A, Tuteja N, Choudhary DK (2016) Plant growth promoting microbial-mediated induced systemic resistance in plants: Induction, Mechanism and Expression. In: Choudhary DK, Varma A (eds) Microbial-mediated induced systemic resistance in plants, Springer- Singapore, 213-226.
- Jain Shekhar, Vaishnav A, Kasotia A, Kumari K, Choudhary DK (2014) Plant Growth-Promoting Bacteria Elicited Induced Systemic Resistance and Tolerance in Plants. In:Parvaiz Ahmad, Saiema Rasool (eds)Emerging Technologiesand Management of Crop Stress Tolerance. Elsevier , USA, 109-132
- Vaishnav A, Jain Shekhar , Kasotia A,Kumari S, Gaur RK, Choudhary DK (2014) Molecular Mechanism of Benign Microbe-Elicited Alleviation of Biotic and Abiotic Stresses for Plants. In: Gaur RK, Sharma P (eds) Approaches to Plant Stress and their Management. Springer, India, 281-295.
- Mehar U, Jain Shekhar (2012) Biofuel: An alternative source of energy. In: Navneet Joshi, KC Sharma, Manju Sharma (Eds) Environmental Biotechnology-Recent Perspectives. LAP Publication Germany, 32-50.
Training Manual chapters :
- Shanmugam V, Aggarwal R, Jain Shekhar, Sharma S (2016) Functional analysis of pathogenicity genes of fungi. In: Praveen S, Mondal KK, Shanmugam V (Eds) Functional analysis of pathogenicity genes of plant pathogens. Division of Plant Pathology, IARI, New Delhi, 6-7.
Technical Article :
- Jain Shekhar (2019) Future prospects of biological science. The knowledge review magazine 4:33-34
Conference/ Workshop/ Seminar Details :
- Participated in National workshop on “Biotechnology Start-up Ecosystem in India” on March 18, 2019 organized by Biotech Consortium India Limited (BCIL), New Delhi with DBT, GOI at The Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, India.
- Participated in National workshop on “Computational Tools for Genomics and Proteomics Data Analysis” on February 14-17, 2017 at National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Microorganisms (NBAIM), Mau, UP, India.
- Acted as resource person in refresher course cum training programme on “Isolation, identification, inoculation and disease recording techniques for fungal plant pathogens” on June 05-14, 2017 at Division of Plant Pathology, IARI, New Delhi, India.
- Acted as resource person in CAFT training on “Functional analysis of pathogenicity genes of plant pathogens” on January 02-22, 2016 at Division of Plant Pathology, IARI, New Delhi, India.
- Participated in National workshop on “Relevance of microscopy in microbial characterization” on 11-14 August, 2015 at Amity Institute of Microbial Technology, Amity University, Noida, UP, India.
- Participated in one day Training Program on “Creation of Awareness among Students, Faculty & Farmers on Provision of Protection of Plant Varieties in India” on January 15, 2015 at Amity Institute of Microbial Technology, Amity University, Noida, UP, India.
- Oral presentation in national conference on “Plant and Animal Molecular Biology (NCPAMB-2015)” on September 25-26, 2015 at Department of Bioscience, Collage of Arts, Science and Humanities, Mody University, Lakshmangarh, Rajasthan, India.
- Attended national seminar on “Computer science and Bio-science 2013 (NSCSBS-2013)” on April 06, 2013 at Mandsaur Institute of Science and Technology, Mandsaur, M.P., India.
- Attended National conference on” Newer Horizons and Innovation in Biotechnology and Biosciences” on April 07-08, 2012 at Dept. of Biotechnology, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, R.B.S. college, Bichpuri, Agra, India.
- Participated in national workshop on “Application of Bioinformatics with special focus on Genomics” on 17-19 February 2012 at centre for Bioinformatics Dept. of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Banasthli University, Rajasthan, India.
- Attended “1st Annual Conference-cum-Workshop on Research Methodology and Art of Scientific Paper-Writing “on October 09, 2011 organized by Indian Journal of Medical Specialties & Dept. of Medicine, MAMC, New Delhi, India.
- Attended National Seminar On “Quality Assurance in Higher Education: Expectations and Achievements” on September 09-10, 2011 at Shri Vaishnav College of Commerce, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India.
- Participated in short term Training on “Fermentation technology” on 14-17 July, 2008 at Associated Alcohols and Breweries Ltd. Badwaha, Dist.- Khargone, Madhya Pradesh, India.
- Participated in short term Training on “Medical Biotechnology” on 2-14 June, 2008 at Bhopal Memorial Hospital and Research Center (BMHRC), Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India.
- Participated in Indo-Italian Workshop on “Food Technology & Cold Chain Management” on November 26-27, 2014 at Amity Institute of Microbial Technology, Amity University, Noida, UP, India.
- Presented a poster in Afro-Asian congress on “Microbes for Human and Environmental Health (Micro-Biotech2014)” on September 29-October 1, 2014 at Amity Institute of Microbial Technology, Amity University, Noida, UP, India.
- Participated as volunteer in “ DWIH Horizon: Art Meets Science” on October 27- November 01, 2014 at Indira Gandhi National Center for the Arts (IGNCA), New Delhi, organized by German House for Research and Innovation.
- Presented a poster in 54thAnnual Conference of Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI) and international symposium on “Frontier Diccoveries and Innovations in Microbiology and its Interdisciplinary Relevance (FDMIR-2013)” on November 17-20, 2013 at Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak , Haryana,India.
- Attended 53rdAnnual Conference of Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI) and International conference on “Microbial world: recent innovations and future trends” on November 22-25, 2012 at School of Biotechnology, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
Awards/ Membership/Others :
- Life Member of Asian PGPR Society
- Member of Associations of Microbiologist of India (AMI)
- Member of Indian Phytopathological Society (IPS)
- Reviewer of BioMed Research International Journal, Hindwani publication
- Reviewer of Agronomy research Journal
- Deposited one bacterial culture Bacillus sp. SJ-5 (MCC No. 2069) to MCC, NCCS, Pune, India.
- Deposited one fungal culture Nigrospora oryzae CUNO-CPCT (ITCC No. 7999) to ITCC, IARI, New Delhi, India.
- Submitted more than 150 bacterial/fungal gene sequences in NCBI Genbank database.