Pharmaceutics is a branch of pharmacy field that carries the impression of pharmacy profession. In general it encompasses the areas that involve designing, formulation and presenting a therapeutically useful chemical entity in a most appropriate drug delivery system such as tablets, capsules, syrups, etc. The comprehensive study of this subject necessitates integration of physical, chemical and biological principles, as applicable to all the components of drug delivery systems. In the present scenario, the discovery of various drug entities has enabled the development of new drug delivery system, advanced production processes and the latest machinery for manufacture of superior quality products. This subject along with its related subjects is well distributed in the B. Pharm. Curriculum, which is shown below.
Pharmaceutics department has laboratories namely:
- Pharmaceutics Lab 1 (Basic Lab)
- Pharmaceutical Lab 2 (Dosage form Development Lab)
- Pharmaceutics Lab 3 (Advanced Instrumental Lab)
All the laboratories having good ventilation and lighting facilities along with continuous water supply. The laboratories are designed efficiently for proper storage of chemicals and glassware. These laboratories are well equipped with the latest instruments, and appliances, which are listed below.
In order to achieve the mission and vision of the Department of pharmaceutics, the following objectives obtain priority in the departmental activities:
- Equipping the students with the best of pharmacy, clinical, scientific, professional and managerial knowledge and skills, so they can be relevant in meeting pharmacy-related, scientific, social and other health-related needs as well as possess sufficient adaptability in a dynamic world.
- Upgradation of departmental teaching skills by motivating faculty members to attend QIP, SDP and utilization of advanced and modern teaching tools and techniques in techniques.
- Establishment of creative and nurturing academic environment which encourage faculty members to perform state of the research and pharmaceutical training.
- Encouraging the interaction among the Departments members, Faculty of Pharmacy members, members of other Faculties, other universities pharmacy faculty members, pharmaceutical industry members, regulatory agencies members, participating in scientific seminars, meetings, scientific days, workshops and conferences on topics related to pharmaceutical products in a way that addresses the needs of the attendants and participants.
- Conducting independent and collaborative research in areas related to the development of pharmaceutical products.
- Actively pursuing extramural funding to help in the advancement of pharmaceutical research and education
- Providing services to the industry and the community by participating in sponsored research projects, consultation or development of new technologies aimed at addressing the needs of the pharmaceutical industry and the community.
Research & Teaching
As our department mainly deals with the academic teaching hence our emphasis is mainly on the research areas which are related with UG curriculum like, Novel drug delivery system, advanced pharmaceutical technology, pharmaceutical engineering, etc.
Broad research area
- Oral Drug Delivery System
- Controlled Release Drug Delivery System
- Intranasal Drug Delivery System
- Transdermal Drug Delivery System
- Solubility Enhancement
- Drug Regulatory Affairs
- Pharmaceutical Management
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Social and Community Pharmacy
Transforming Knowledge for Tomorrows World
The Department provides advance technology to the students for their projects and day to day practical’s. The department offers training in pharmacology and toxicology to both undergraduate and various research projects for post graduate students, who may subsequently go on to exciting research, regulatory and administrative careers in academic, industrial and healthcare provision settings.
Pharmacology (Study of Drugs) is the scientific discipline that, in the attempt to improve health and alleviate disease, studies the mechanisms by which drugs alter biological systems & Toxicological profile of various drugs. The combination of Pharmacology & Toxicology disciplines encompass the molecular basis of drug action, the actions of drugs on cells, organs, and organisms, genetic variations in drug action, and drug discovery.
Pharmacology department has laboratories namely
• Pharmacology Lab 1 (Basic Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab)
• Pharmacology Lab 2 (Preclinical Experimentation Lab)
All the laboratories having good ventilation and lighting facilities along with continuous water supply. The laboratories are designed efficiently for proper storage of chemicals and glassware. These laboratories are well equipped with the latest instruments, and appliances.
For the approval of various research projects on experimental animals the department has centralized animal house approved by CPCSEA (Registration no: 1019/C/06/CPCSEA) for conducting experiments on Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs, and Rabbits. Animal house is maintained with proper housing condition for experimentation.
• Rota rode apparatus
• Centrifuge machine
• Student Organ Bath & Kymograph
• Hot Plate
• Pole Climbing Apparatus
• Pyrogen test meter
• Histamine Chamber
• Various Models on CNS Pharmacology
• Hutchinson Respirometer
• Elevated plus maze, Y-maze, T-maze, Hole Board
• Dissection Table for Cat & Dog
Current Areas of Research Interest in the Department
• Wound Pharmacology
• Behavioral and Neuropharmacology
• Immunopharmacology & Inflamopharmacology
• Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics
• Rheumatoid Arthritis &Bioactive fractionization
• Various bioassay Methods on isolated tissue & organs.
Brief of the department
The Pharmaceutical chemistry department is committed to excellence in Pharmaceutical Chemistry through providing a nurturing and conducive environment for teaching and learning in basic and medicinal chemistry. It will achieve this through continuous modernization of its programs to be internationally competent and to satisfy the need of skilled manpower. It will ensure an environment for teamwork and successful organizational practices. The Department is well equipped with modern analytic facilities like U.V, HPLC and FT-IR.
- To provide an environment that facilitates the teaching – learning process.
- To achieve excellence in education in the Sciences and Studies with need based curriculum.
- To inculcate moral and social responsibility through value education.
- To equip students with marketable skills through add on courses in order to enable them to function in a competitive professional sphere.
- Department plans to establish a computer aided drug design laboratory, Analytic Method development on new drugs.
- To establish a drug/ chemical analysis lab.
Research & Teaching
At undergraduate level, it comprising of Physical Inorganic, Organic, Chemistry, Medicinal and analytical chemistry including laboratory classes related to all these subjects.
Broad research area
The following areas of research categorized as areas of excellence based on the Pharmaceutical chemistry needs and development. Department faculty members are very active in other areas of research also.
- Designing and synthesis of some nootrpoics and antinflammatory agents.
- Designing and synthesis of some novel heterocyclic compounds as antimicrobial agents.
- Molecular modelling, Molecular Docking etc. on Natural as well as synthetic structure.
- Phytochemical isolation of potent Biomarkers.
- Analytical Method development on new drugs.
- Formulation of Floating microsphere on some Anti-hypertensive drugs.
Brief of the department
Pharmacognosy is the very old discipline and still having expansion potential among a variety of branches of Pharmacy. The subject is mainly concerned with the study of drugs obtained from the natural sources like Plant, Animals, Minerals, Marine and Microorganism, provides information about the principles and procedures used in the identification, authentication, extraction, isolation of active constituents by chromatography techniques, purification and development of herbal formulations and assay methods for the isolated constituents. The drug museum in the Dept is having sufficient number of crude drugs.
- Provide excellence in education & research in the disciplines of herbal drugs and natural products.
- Phytopharmaceuticals extraction, isolation and structural elucidation of various natural drugs.
- Evaluation of pharmacological potential in natural herbs.
- Search for new leads for drug development.
- Serve as a consultation centre for the Pharmaceutical industry.
Broad Research Area
- Studies on Macroscopic and microscopic diagnostic features along with Chromatographic & chemoprofiling.
- Development and standardization of Herbal formulation.
- Pharmacological studies to ascertain efficacy off herbal.
- Extraction technology development and formulation development