Craft Internship (Jaipur Visit)
Department of Fashion Design conducted an industrial visit named “Craft Documentation” for the students of II year. Students have to select any state of their interest and have to learn any special or famous craft of that state. In 10 to 15 days they have to learn the basic process and their style under trainer of that art. 3 students of II year (Ms. Lakshita Maru, Ms. Princy Pancholi and Ms. Anchal Parmar) chose Jaipur and performed craft documentation with three specialties that are Blue Pottery, Wood Carving and Lac Work. Students prepared many articles.
Blue Pottery is widely recognized as a traditional craft of Jaipur. The name ‘blue pottery’ comes from the eye-catching blue dye used to color the pottery. Jaipur blue pottery, made out of a similar frit material to Egyptian faience, is glazed and low-fired. Blue-and-white patterns are not only gorgeous in the form of fabrics, but they are also fabulous as accessories.
Wood Carving: The wood that artist prefers to use for carving in Jaipur is called as Kadham wood. The wooden idol carving process roughly follows three steps – marking on wooden block, carving and finishing it with all the details. These helped students to prepare accessory in Fashion field.
Lac work is another popular craft that India has produced across centuries. Lac jewelry is very popular amongst the young women in India because of its exotic and colorful appearance. Apart from jewelry, lac is also used to manufacture exclusive jewellery boxes, accessories and various decoration pieces. Not only is India the largest producer of lac, but is also one of the main exporters, and has found its way in countries such as the USA, UK, China, Europe and the Middle Eastern countries.
The cultures of Jaipur facilitate us with the holistic view of not only Rajasthan but with the cultures of India.
Career Perspective of this activity:
- To be employed as fashion designers with design houses
- To work as designers or merchandisers with large retail companies and exporters
- To work with NGOs as designers, facilitators
- To work as freelance designers
- To work as entrepreneurs
- The basic purpose of craft internship is to study the craft, recognize the problem areas of the craft and then come up with the design solution in fashion field.
- Students learned different craft that can be merge and apply with accessory and dressing in Fashion.
- To prepare for industrial working environment.