The Department of Library and Information Science was incepted in the year 2016 with an aim to integrate technology with the curriculum in order to confer knowledge and skills for Information.
The objective of the department is to appraise different management tools and techniques to be applied in libraries and information centers, to expose students to different components of information technology and its application in library & Information Science and to make aware of various sources of information. The Department has made substantial contribution in the field of Library & Information Science by producing eminent professionals such as Librarians, Information Officer, Documentation Officer, Technical Officer- ‘Library’, Library & Information Assistant etc., which leads to the formation of a strong and resourceful network.
- Under Graduate Programmes
Bachelor of Library Science
- Post Graduate Programmes
Master of Library Science
Library Automation Training: Training Various library Software Delplus, ERP, Libsys, Greenstone egranthalaya.
- The students will be prepared to take up the challenges of the information society in future.
- The students will be prepared to take up leadership position in both the traditional types of information institutions e.g., academic libraries and modern information institutes.
- The students will be prepared in such a manner that they may be capable of taking up self employment in information field.
- Accommodate the first lovers of Library and Information Science as their first choice of subject.
- Fulfill the high level of teaching from basic level to advanced level under one umbrella.
- Incorporate the related disciplines in the curricula for facilitating interdisciplinary study and research.
- Educate library and information specialists who can respond to the changing information needs of the society.
- Provide leadership within the profession in defining the role of the profession, the interrelationships between the University and the practicing professional.
- Provide the scope of many other opportunities not easily available now to LIS students, e.g. appearing for the competitive and administrative examinations;
Major thrust areas in which Research activities are being actively pursued :
- Bibliographic Control
- LIS Education
- Preservation and Conservation
- Institutional Repositories
- Community Information Services
- Digital library
- Information Management System
- Knowledge Management
- Library Management
- Natural Language Processing
- Public Libraries
- Scientometrics & Informetrics